Psycomedia Demi-Episode 51-and-a-bit – \m/ HEAVY METAL AND BEARS \m/
November 10, 2012 2 Comments
This week, Tim is away, so Ben goes METAL
- Arnett, J. (1991). Heavy metal music and reckless behavior among adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 20(6), 573-592
- Gowensmith, W. N., & Bloom, L. J. (1997). The effects of heavy metal music on arousal and anger. Journal of Music Therapy.
- Robertson, D. (2000). “About Positive Music.” Dovesong.com.
- Scheel, K. R., & Westefeld, J. S. (1999). Heavy metal music and adolescent suicidality: an empirical investigation. Adolescence, 34(134), 253-73.
- Schiller Institute. (17 February 1998). “Towards a new renaissance in classical education.”
- ScienceDaily.com. (22 March 2007). “Gifted students beat the blues with heavy metal.”
- Took, K. J., & Weiss, D. S. (1994). The relationship between heavy metal and rap music and adolescent turmoil: real or artifact?. Adolescence, 29, 613-613.
- Walker, K., & Kreiner, D.S. (2006). “Relationships of music preferences with perceived intelligence, measured intelligence, and mood state.” 18th Annual Conference of the Association for Psychological Science. New York, New York.
- Wooten, M. A. (1992). The effects of heavy metal music on affects shifts of adolescents in an inpatient psychiatric setting. Music Therapy Perspectives.
Much (read: all) of the research for this week came from this excellent article:
Bjoffi, this week’s esteemed co-host:
This week’s Media of the Week: The Sword
The Warp Riders, from the album of the same name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SCIoq0VX4
OK Bear Music
AWESOME BEAR MUSIC!
Smokey the Cat – a really loud cat
Anthrax, from the album Stomp 442 – actually pretty good
Don Robertson and Dovesong.com – really freuding weird
And his blog…yup
And finally, the lyrics to this week’s outro, you will probably need them.
There’s Power metal, Cello metal, Gothic and Symphonic Metal
Metal that’s Experimental, even Medieval metal
Pagan, Folk and Celtic metal, Funk and Troll and Viking metal
Rap and Crust and Thrash and Speed and Groove and Glam and Stoner Metal
There’s metal that’s Progressive, Post or even Neoclassical
There’s some that’s new (but spelt N U) and sounds quite like Industrial
There’s Versions of Death metal both Melodical and Technical
And even Christian metal that is really quite respectable
There’s Doom metal that’s Gloomy Sludgey Droney or Funerial
There’ Grindcore, Gore- and and Pornogrind with lyrics quite venerial
There’s Metalcore, Nintendocore and Mathcore for the metal nerds
Or Deathcore, Deathgrind, Blackened Death or Death’n’roll if death’s preferred
There’s many types of metal from Extreme to more Traditional
It’s a frankly f**king foolish task to try and learn to list them all